This super simple Indian spiced curry balances the taste of tangy tomatoes with creamy coconut milk. We add a bit of mango chutney to the curry itself to bring a real sweetness to the dish.
|360g||basmati rice, rinsed|
|400g||tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed|
|400g||tinned chopped tomatoes|
|400g||tin of coconut milk|
|1 tbsp||mango chutney|
|1||brown onion, diced|
|1||red chilli, deseeded and diced|
|2||garlic cloves, crushed|
|2-inch piece||fresh ginger, skin removed and finely diced|
|fresh coriander, finely chopped, handful|
|1 tbsp||medium curry powder|
|1 tsp||ground cumin|
|1 tsp||ground coriander|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
2. Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of olive oil on a medium heat in a large pan. Add the onion, chilli, garlic and ginger to the pan and fry for about 10 minutes, until the onion is soft.
3. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, coconut milk and chickpeas to the pan, along with some salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the mango chutney, then remove from the heat and add in the lime juice.
6. Serve on top of the cooked rice and sprinkle with the coriander.
If you like things spicy, leave in some of the chilli seeds! This dish is featured in our budgeting section – each portion costs less than £1!