This tart makes a great dinner with a couple of sides, or enjoy a slice as a tasty and portable lunch!
|200g||mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|375g||puff pastry, ready rolled|
|125g||cheddar cheese, grated|
|1/2||red onion, finely chopped|
|pepper, to taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 180ºC
fan/ gas mark 6.
2. In one bowl, combine the mushrooms, red onion,
olive oil, salt and the leaves of two sprigs of the thyme.
3. In another bowl, combine the cheese, mustard,
milk and a couple of grates of pepper. Add less pepper for a milder mixture,
and one grate more for added ‘kick’.
4. Spread the cheese mixture over the pastry,
leaving a gap an inch wide around the edge, for the crust. On top, do the same
with the mushroom mixture.
5. Bake for twenty to thirty minutes, according to
packet instructions of the pastry. Be sure to check the tart after twenty
minutes, as the mushrooms will cook quickly, and the crust may burn if cooked
for too long. The cheese should be melted, and the mushrooms darkened.
6. Serve with a green salad, and add a bread roll
for a larger meal.
This tart is tasty
with Gruyère, as an alternative to Cheddar, if available.
If not, Cheddar is a cost-efficient option that works equally well.