Simple tips to help you reduce food waste.
Families in the UK waste an average of £70 per month on food waste! Why?
There are a variety of reasons, including:
– Buying too much! Supermarkets encourage us to purchase more than we need with special offers (e.g. buy one, get one free).
– Not planning our shopping! Using our meal planner will help you overcome this.
– Not measuring portions when cooking, so often making too much.
– Food packaging dates and labels are confusing. See our guide to understanding date labels.
– Not knowing how to store food correctly and safely.
With all of the above in mind, the following 6 tips will help you to get into a routine of reducing food waste:
1. Plan ahead.
2. Only buy what you need, don’t get tempted by in-store deals!
3. Store food correctly.
4. Cook the right amount – weight out ingredients and stick to recipes!
5. Store leftovers in the fridge/freezer for a later date.
6. Recycle or compost what you can’t eat – this is good for the environment too!Back