1 hr 45 minutes
These savoury biscuits are great with a coffee.
|1 ½ tbsps||sesame seeds|
|1 ½ tsps||baking powder|
|1 ½ tsps||salt|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
1. Sieve the plain flour into a large mixing bowl together with the baking powder and salt.
2. Dry fry the sesame seeds on a medium heat for 2 minutes or until a light browning appears. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat.
4. Once melted, pour the butter into a separate mixing bowl and combine with the milk and olive oil. Begin to add this liquid to the bowl of flour, a little at a time, mixing with a fork at first then kneading by hand. You’re aiming for a soft, elastic ball of dough.
5. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 180oC.
7. Remove the dough from the fridge and divide it into 2 equally sized pieces. Roll each into thin sausage shapes approx. 1 cm thick.
8. Cut the sausages to approx. 10 cm in length and bend into a U shape. Plait the 2 long parts of the U into a rope like shape. Coat the plaits with beaten egg then top with the toasted sesame seeds.
9. Prepare a baking tray with greaseproof paper, then place the plaits on top and cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
If you are unsure about the folding technique, practice beforehand with a rolled out bit of sticky tack and try to replicate the plait shape.