1 hr 30 minutes
A potato and pork one-pot which works any night of the week.
|300g||smoked bacon, chopped|
|800g||potatoes, peeled and chopped|
|2||brown onions, sliced|
|2||carrots, chopped into large pieces|
|1||stick of celery, chopped|
|4||large rosemary sprigs|
|4||large thyme sprigs|
|Handful||fresh parsley, chopped|
|3||garlic cloves, partially crushed with the side of a knife|
|2 tbsps||vegetable oil|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180oC. Use a small piece of string to tie together your rosemary and thyme sprigs into a tight bundle then leave to one side.
2. Place a high sided oven safe pan with lid, or Dutch oven, over a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Fry the sausages until browned on all sides, then remove to a side plate.
3. Next fry the bacon until crispy, then remove to a side plate.
4. Add the carrots and fry until browned and caramelised then remove to a side plate. At this point your pan may have a brown oily residue from all the frying. If so, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool before carefully wiping clean with kitchen roll.
5. Return the pan to a medium heat and add a further tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once hot, add the onions, celery and the herb bundle together with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onions have softened, stirring throughout.
6. Add the leeks, garlic cloves, carrots and a splash of water. Combine and cook with the lid on for 5 minutes.
7. Once the leeks have softened, add the potatoes and mix together. Add the sausages, bacon, stock and parsley.
8. Cover with the lid and cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes in the oven or until the potatoes are soft.
In this recipe we have added the garlic, rosemary and thyme for extra background flavour. To make a vegan version omit the bacon, use plant-based sausages and switch to vegetable stock.