This simple stock reduces food waste and can be used as a base for soups, sauces or curries.
For this recipe, you will need a chopping board, cooking knife, big saucepan, kettle and some string.
To make this stock, we will be using various vegetables to add extra flavour, such as onions, carrots and garlic, as well as the chicken itself. We will also be using herbs like rosemary, thyme and parsley. Leftover chicken bones from a roast chicken are ideal for making this stock!
1. The carrots and onions only need to be roughly chopped with the skins left on and the herbs can be tied together with string. The garlic can lightly crushed.
2. Begin by frying your carrot chunks in vegetable oil on a medium heat.
3. You can also add your onions. The peel can be left on as this will help give the stock colour.
4. Fry the vegetables until they have begun to brown. Now add your garlic cloves and chicken bones.
5. Now the herb bundle can be add along with 2-3 litres of boiling water depending on size of your container.
6. Leave this to simmer for at least 2 hours before sieving out the solids.
You can also check out our video guide on how to make a chicken stock, which takes you through the process step by step:Back