1 hour 45 minutes
This Mexican classic combines the ‘mole’ (mix) – a thick, dark, sweet and spicy sauce with soft, poached chicken.
|For the chicken:|
|1||medium whole chicken|
|2||celery sticks, chopped|
|1||red onion, halved|
|for the mole sauce:|
|2||ripe tomatoes, chopped|
|25g||dark chocolate, grated|
|2 tbsps||clear honey|
|1 tsp||dried oregano|
|1/2 tsp||ground cumin|
|1/2 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|2||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1||red onion, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||chilli flakes|
|For the tacos:|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|salt, to taste|
1. Begin by placing the chicken, carrots, celery and red onion into a large saucepan – cover with water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and poach the chicken for 1 hour 20 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
2. Make your tacos: place the sieved flour with a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Pour the olive oil and water into the well then stir into the flour until it makes a rough dough. Add more water if required.
3. Turn the dough out onto a flour-dusted surface and knead for approx. 5 minutes until elastic and smooth. Roll the dough into 30cm long sausage shape then slice into 8 equal pieces. Mould each piece into a ball, set aside until ready for cooking.
4. Make the mole: heat a splash of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and chilli flakes – sauté for 10 mins until soft. With 1 minute to go, stir in the herbs, spices and peanuts, then remove from heat to a mixing bowl. Add the honey, grated chocolate, chopped tomato and season. Blend everything until you have a thick paste, add water if necessary to loosen.
5. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and leave to rest for 10 mins. Remove the skin, shred the meat, then combine with the mole sauce.
6. Cook the tacos – roll the balls of dough into thin discs then place in a frying pan over a medium heat for approx. 1.5 mins on each side until lightly golden.
7. Fill your tacos with chicken mole.
Add some toppings to your tacos – avocado, red onion, fresh chilli, coriander and cheese are a few examples!