This is a spicy squid dish from south east Asia which goes great with rice!
squid, whole and cleaned if available
|1||brown onion, finely diced|
|70g||spring onion, sliced|
bell pepper, diced, seeds and core removed
|3||red thai chillies, sliced|
|3||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|1||thumb sized piece of ginger, grated|
|2||lemons, 1 quartered, 1 juiced|
|3 tbsps||light soy sauce|
|3 tbsps||red wine vinegar|
|3 tbsps||oyster sauce|
|1 tsp||sesame oil|
|salt, to taste|
1. In a large mixing bowl, bring together the juice of one lemon, the soy sauce, the oyster sauce, sesame oil, red wine vinegar, ginger, garlic and two of the sliced chillies. Mix until no clumps remain.
2. Over a high heat, place a griddle pan with a coating of vegetable oil. Once the pan is hot, coat the squid with salt then place on the grill. Cook for 4-5 minutes turning halfway.
3. Next, remove the squid to a fresh chopping boards and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
4. While the squid cools, take a large pan and heat vegetable oil over a medium/high heat. Once hot, add the white onion and cook for 2-minutes, then add the diced pepper and spring onion and remaining chilli.
5. Now, slice the squid into rings, add these to the sauce mix and coat evenly, then add this to the frying pan and mix. Cook just until hot through, then serve.
This is quite a spicy version feel free to add less chilli.