1 hour 15 minutes
Fesenjan is an aromatic chicken stew which makes use of various spices, as well as orange and pomegranate for a little extra flavour.
|600g||chicken, cut into small chunks|
|2||brown onions, diced|
|4||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1||orange, peel of one half, zest of the other|
|400g||tinned chickpeas, drained and washed|
|4 tbsps||pomegranate molasses|
|parsley, finely chopped, handful|
|1/2||pomegranate, seeds only|
|5 tsps||ground cumin|
|1.5 tsps||ground cloves|
|1 tsp||black pepper|
|salt, to taste|
|2 tsps||olive oil|
1. Begin by pre heating an oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Once hot, cook the walnuts for approximately 10 minutes or until brittle and dry. Now remove and blitz in a blender until a fine powder forms.
2. Take a large pan, place over a medium heat and add half the olive oil and all of the butter. When the butter has melted fry the chicken until golden brown, then remove to a side plate along with any juices. Whilst frying if there is excess chicken juice in the pan, which might make it difficult to brown the chicken, simply drain and save the liquids and continue.
3. Once you have removed the chicken, add the rest of the olive oil. Now, fry the onions with a little salt until soft.
4. Now add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Reduce to a low heat, and add the cumin, cinnamon, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, turmeric, black pepper, ground cloves, orange zest and peel. Stir through and cook for 2 minutes, add a little water if necessary to loosen.
6. Now, add the stock, chicken and juices, pomegranate molasses, walnuts. Mix together, and bring to a simmer then reduce to a low heat. Cook for 45 minutes stirring every 5-10 minutes to ensure that the curry does not stick.
7. Once the stew has cooked, top with fresh parsley and pomegranate seeds.
This stew is really more aromatic rather than spicy but add a little chilli if you want some heat.