This creamy broccoli gnocchi has a zesty flavour and is filling yet refreshing. If you’re strapped for time, you can buy gnocchi ready-made from most supermarkets and follow from step 6 to create this hearty dish.
|120g||plain flour, plus extra to dust|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
Creamy broccoli sauce:
|3 tbsps||Crème fraîche|
|1/2 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|200g||long stem broccoli, cut into pieces|
|350g||fresh gnocchi, cooked per instructions or bought|
|2 tbsps||olive oil|
|1 tbsp||pine nuts|
1. Add the potatoes to a large pan of salted water. Heat the pan on a high heat on the hob until boiling, then reduce to a medium heat and cook for 25 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the potatoes. Drain the potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle but still warm.
2. Using a peeler or your fingers, remove the skin from the potatoes. In a medium bowl, mash the potatoes until all lumps are gone. Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
3. Make a well in the centre of the potatoes and crack the egg into it. Whisk the egg briefly in the well. Then, using your hands, gently mix the egg into the potatoes until evenly distributed.
4. Tip the flour onto a clean surface and turn out the potato mix onto it. Fold the flour into the potato mix, kneading as you go to form a dough. Only incorporate enough of the flour for the dough to become solid and lose stickiness, you may not need all the flour or you may need slightly more.
5. Slice the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll out 1 of the parts into a thin sausage shape, about 1.5-2cm wide. Cut the sausage into small rectangles, about 2.5cm long, and set aside on a lightly floured surface or a tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Repeat with the remaining sections of the dough.
6. Mix together the crème fraîche, mustard and lemon juice. Set aside.
7. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes, then add the gnocchi. Cook until the gnocchi begins to float to the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Drain the pan.
8. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Once hot, tip in the gnocchi, broccoli and frozen peas. Stir in the hot oil for 1-2 minutes, then stir through the crème fraîche mixture. Season to taste.
9. Once served, top with the pine nuts.
Top with grated cheese to make it extra creamy!