12 - 15 minutes
Flavourful and delicious kebab, perfect for summer BBQs.
|4||garlic cloves, minced|
|1||small white onion, diced|
|2tbsps||ice cold water|
|2tbsps||red chilli flakes|
|salt, to taste|
1. Start off by soaking the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes – this will prevent them from burning during cooking.
2. In 2 separate bowls mix 1tsp cumin, 1tbsp sumac, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1 tbsp red chilli flakes in each.
3. Preheat oven to 180c or 350F.
4. In a large bowl, add together the lamb mince, diced onion, minced garlic and salt. wet your hands and knead to combine all the ingredients.
5. Once combined add 1 bowl of the mixed spices along with the ice cold water (this will help everything stick together). Knead again until all ingredients have been evenly mixed.
6. Separate the mixture into 12 portions and roll into evenly sized balls then begin placing 2 balls onto each skewer.
7. Flatten and roll the meatballs on the skewers to create a kebab shape.
8. Place the kebab skewers on a lightly oiled baking sheet or oven grill tray and sprinkle half the remaining bowl of spices over the upwards side of the kebabs.
9. Place the kebabs into the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
10. Take the kebabs out after the 10 minutes and turn them over, then using the remaining spices sprinkle over the flipped side.
11. Place the kebabs back in the oven and cook for another 5 minutes.
12. Remove the kebabs from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before trying to handle the sticks.
13. Serve with flatbread and salad to create the perfect BBQ balance!
This recipe uses an oven for cooking but traditional kebab is cooked over a charcoal grill. If available, use a grill to make even more delicious!