And on the 9th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me… a donatable tin of chickpeas!
You can pick up this versatile staple wherever you get your groceries, and drop it off at any food bank. Find your local food bank here.
To cheer up a chilly Thursday, try our warming chickpea and squash curry recipe:
|1||butternut squash, deseeded and cut into crescents|
|1||400ml tin of chopped tomatoes|
|1||400ml tin of coconut milk|
|1||400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed|
|4||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|5-6||tbsp of garam masala or curry powder|
|a handful||basil leaves (optional)|
|1||thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated (optional)|
|2 tbsp||vegetable oil|
|1 tsp||dried chilli flakes (optional)|
|to taste||salt and pepper|
1. Begin by pre-heating an oven to 180 degrees, once hot arrange the sweet potato on a baking tray with approx. tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Now cook for 25 minutes or until soft on the inside and slightly caramelised on the outside.
2. In the mean time begin to make the curry base. Start by placing a large pan over a medium heat with 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil added. Once hot begin to fry the onions with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onions have fully softened.
3. Next add the garlic and ginger an cook for 2 minutes.
4. Now reduce the heat add the garam masala. Cook the spices for 7 minutes stirring continuously and loosening with a dash of water if necessary to prevent sticking.
5. Add the tomatoes, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Next add the coconut milk and mix in so that none of the fats remain undissolved. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Now add the chickpeas, cooked butternut squash and basil leaves. Mix to an even consistency and cook for further 5 minutes.
A squeeze of lime can add some extra freshness.
And if you’ve had fun with the recipes posted this December, why not purchase membership of our community cookery school for yourself or a loved one? Get access to hundreds of recipes like this chickpea curry, and support our mission to distribute 5 million free licenses to our Cooking & Nutrition Portal across the UK!