And just like that…we’ve completed a whole week of our reverse advent calendar campaign!
Thank you to everyone who has donated items so far! Today’s item is tinned kidney beans. We’d love for you to donate a tin to your local food bank to help support people living in food poverty this Christmas. You can check to find your local food bank here.
With your kidney beans, try making our rice and peas:
|300g|| basmati rice|
|1||brown onion, diced|
|60g||spring onion, sliced|
|400g||tinned coconut milk|
|400g||tinned kidney beans, strained|
|3 tbsp||thyme leaves|
|salt, to taste|
- Begin by thoroughly rinsing the rice and then place to one side – this will remove excess starch from the dish.
- Take a large pan, place over a medium heat, then fry the onions in the butter with a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spring onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now, add the rice, coconut milk, water, allspice, thyme, and kidney beans.
- Bring to the boil, add the lid then reduce to a low heat and cook for approx 15-20 minutes then serve.
Alongside our reverse advent calendar, you can also join our fight against food poverty from anywhere in the UK by booking onto one of our online cookalongs for next year. Thanks to our ‘buy one, give one’ model, each ticket sold generates a free place for someone referred to us by one of our partner third sector organisations. Have a look at our event listings for 2022! You can also pledge to our Christmas Meal Drive which is currently underway with our central team in Manchester.