Today’s item is jam!
It’s the third day of our reverse advent calendar and today we’re asking if you can spare a jar of jam to give to your local food bank. You can check where your nearest food bank is here. It’s totally up to you what flavour you’d like to donate!
Have a go at cooking our recipe for the British classic, Victoria Sponge cake, using jam:
|For the sponge:|
|4||medium eggs, room temperature|
|225g||unsalted butter, softened|
|225g||self-raising flour, sifted|
|For the filling and topping:|
|250ml||double cream, chilled|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4, and line two cake tins with baking paper and butter.
2. Using a large mixing bowl or electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
3. Gradually beat the caster sugar into the butter until it is light and creamy.
4. Combine the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat into the mixture.
5. Slowly beat the flour into the mixture, and add warm water halfway through.
6. Divide the mixture between cake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Whip the double cream while the sponge cools.
8. Spread cream and jam on one sponge, and decorate with strawberries, place the second sponge on top and decorate with cream and strawberries.
9. Dust with icing sugar to finish .
We hope that you’re joining us in our reverse advent calendar campaign. Don’t forget to tell your friends and family and encourage them to donate with you! Alongside our reverse advent calendar, you can come and support our fight against food poverty this weekend at Alty Market. We’ll be selling a range of Christmas gifts for you to give to your loved ones and fight food poverty whilst you’re at it!