Christmas is nearly here! Contribute to our campaign with some pasta sauce.
If you’re out and about finishing your shopping today, it would be fantastic if you could spare a moment and pick up some pasta sauce for a nearby foodbank. From one jar to ten, these donations are the lifeblood of efforts to fight food poverty in the UK. You can find your local foodbank here.
A jar of pasta sauce is a saviour when you haven’t got time to cook one from scratch. However, you can quickly spruce up your shop-bought sauce with our yummy puttanesca recipe:
|400g||tinned chopped tomatoes|
|1||brown onion, sliced|
|240g||tinned mackerel in tomato sauce|
|2||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|6||black olives (optional)|
|2 tbsps||balsamic vinegar|
|2 tbsps||olive oil|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Place a large pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and bring up to temperature.
2. Once hot, add the onions with a pinch of salt and a the vinegar, stir through and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened.
3. Add the diced anchovies and garlic, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the garlic does not burn.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, oregano and olives. Cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
5. Add the tinned mackerel and stir through evenly, then cook on a low heat.
6. In the meantime, take a second pan and add it over a medium fill with boiling water and cook the spaghetti for 10 minutes. season once boiling with salt, then strain once done.
7 Add the spaghetti to the sauce, mix and then serve.
Any vinegar will work if balsamic is unavailable try red wine or white wine vinegar.
The last day of our reverse advent calendar is tomorrow! If you’re on social media, and you’ve donated this month with the reverse advent calendar, we’d love to hear from you – you can participate in our polls on Instagram and Twitter.