On the second day of our reverse advent calendar, we’re donating tinned chopped tomatoes!
It would be fantastic if you could pick up a spare tin of chopped tomatoes during your weekly shop to donate to your local food bank. Check to find your nearest food bank here.
Take a look at our chef’s recipe for Parmigiana, using tinned chopped tomatoes:
|3 aubergines, sliced into 1cm thick rounds|
|400g tinned chopped tomatoes|
|1 brown onion, diced|
|2-3 garlic cloves, finely diced|
|1tsp dried oregano|
|1-2 tbsps red wine vinegar|
|50g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese, finely grated|
|70g vegetarian mozzarella cheese, torn into small pieces|
|1tbsp olive oil|
|fresh basil, handful (optional)|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
- Add the olive oil to a medium-sized pan over medium heat, then cook the onion, garlic, and oregano for a few minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the tinned chopped tomatoes, then refill the tin halfway with water and add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper, then simmer very gently (uncovered) for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat. Add a single layer of aubergine slices and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, until softened and lightly charred. Repeat, frying the aubergine in batches until it’s all cooked.
- When the tomato sauce has reduced down and thickened slightly, turn off the heat. Add the red wine vinegar, half the basil, and more salt and pepper if needed.
- In a baking dish, spread a small layer of the tomato sauce, followed by a layer of aubergine slices, and then a sprinkle of the parmesan-style cheese (leaving some aside for the topping). Repeat these layers, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Top with the mozzarella and remaining parmesan-style cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Top with the remaining basil leaves.
We hope you enjoy today’s recipe, which gives humble tinned tomatoes a new life! You can also join our fight against food poverty this holiday season by becoming a member of our community cookery school. You’ll get access to hundreds of recipes like this Parmigiana and your membership will help support our mission to distribute 5 million free licenses to our Cooking & Nutrition Portal across the UK. Thank you for your support and for making a difference this Christmas!