Today’s food item is cornflakes – simple but essential!
Sling a box of cornflakes in your bag at the supermarket, and drop them off at your nearest foodbank – have a look for a foodbank near you.
And if unique food concoctions intrigue you, look no further than our chef’s cornflake crumb chicken goujons:
|600g||chicken breast, cut into strips|
|1.5 tbsp||garlic powder|
|1.5 tbsp||onion granules|
|1 tbsp||black pepper|
1. Begin by pre-heating the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Next take three mixing bowls, add the flour to the first and the egg to the second. In the third bowl mix together the cornflakes, garlic powder, paprika, salt, onion granules, mixed herbs and black pepper
3. Take a strip of chicken and coat in the flour lightly shaking off any extra flour. Next dip the strip into the egg, momentarily holding against the side of the bowl while any excess runs off. Finally coat the chicken in the cornflake mixture and set to one side. Repeat the process for each chicken strip. Wash your hands surfaces utensils after.
4. Fill a large pan with the vegetable oil place over a medium to high heat. Once hot fry each chicken strip for 20-30 seconds or until golden on the outside then remove from the oil and place on a baking tray to be added to the oven. repeat the process for all the strips, you can fry several at a time to speed things up.
5. Cook the chicken strips for approx. 15 minutes or until cooked all the way through (white in the middle).
As we head into the weekend, following another fantastic week of the reverse advent calendar, we’d like to say thank you to everyone who’s following along at home. Your donations are making a great impact, at a tough time of year for those struggling with food insecurity. And don’t forget, we’ll still be here on Saturday and Sunday, with ideas for non-food items to donate all over the UK, and market stall donation drops!