Red lentils are the order of the day for Thursday’s food bank drop!
To deposit your red lentils, you can find your local food bank here! Thank you to everyone who’s been participating, pushing the impact of this campaign day by day. Your donations are helping those who need them most!
Rich in flavour and nutrition, this dahl recipe makes great use of red lentils:
|450g||red lentils, washed and drained|
|1||thumb sized piece ginger, peeled and grated|
garlic cloves, crushed
green chillies, whole with the ends split
brown onions, diced
|2 tsp||curry powder|
|1||coriander, finely chopped, handful|
|175g||tomatoes, roughly chopped|
|2 tbsp||vegetable oil|
|salt to taste|
1. Take a large pan and place over a medium heat, add vegetable oil, once hot add the onions and cook until soft.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and cook for two minutes.
3. Now add the spices, stir in a cook for 5 minutes, mix constantly to prevent the spices sticking.
4. Add the tomatoes, and cook for 10 breaking up as they cook.
5. Now add the lentils and the water, bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft, skim off any residue that rises to the top.
6. Once the lentils are soft, blend until half the lentils are liquified and top with coriander.
Blend more or less to create a consistency that works best for you.
And if you’re in the giving spirit this season, consider one of our fantastic fundraising gifts! All three volumes of Secret Dishes From Around the World are available on our website. These books are a lovely choice if you want a useful and attractive present to wrap up for a loved one, while making a positive impact.