These burgers are an amazing way to turn your everyday fish into something special. They only take 35 minutes to make and are super easy, but are packed full of flavour! And if you’re not a fan of spice, check out our ideas in the suggestion section below.
|1||cucumber, cut in half and peeled into ribbons|
|6 tbsps||white wine vinegar|
|1/2 tsp||golden caster sugar|
|1 tbsp||chilli sauce, e.g. Sriracha|
|1.5 tsps||smoked paprika|
|4||cod fillets, skinned|
|4||brioche buns, halved|
|8||little gem lettuce leaves|
|2 tbsps||olive oil|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
2. Add the white wine vinegar and sugar to a pan, then bring to the boil. Pour the vinegar over the cucumber in a bowl, cover, then store in the fridge.
3. Add the lime juice, chilli sauce and mayonnaise to a bowl and mix together until smooth.
4. Tear the bread into a food processor, along with the smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Whizz until you have breadcrumbs, then tip into a shallow bowl.
5. Sprinkle the flour across a plate. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.
6. For each cod fillet, cover in the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs, then transfer onto a plate.
7. In a non-stick pan, fry the fish in olive oil on medium for 3 minutes on each such until golden and crisp, then transfer onto a baking tray and finish them off in the oven for 5 minutes.
8. While the fish is in the oven, wipe out your pan, then dry toast the middle of the buns until golden.
9. Take the cucumber out of the fridge and pat dry with some kitchen towel. Add the chilli-lime mayonnaise to both halves of the bun, then place 2 lettuce leaves on each of the bottom buns. Then, add the fish fillet, topped off with some cucumber pickle and finally the top bun.
This recipe works better with fresh cod fillets, as the batter has a harder time sticking to defrosted fish. Also, if you’re not a fan of spice, leave out the chilli sauce and paprika for an equally delicious burger! The breadcrumbs are a great base for you to get creative with – try adding Parmesan, garlic, or some dried herbs.