Puttanesca is a classic Italian recipe with most of the ingredients being long life, so it’s an easy one to roll out when you have run out of fresh ingredients!
|400g||tinned chopped tomatoes|
|1||brown onion, sliced|
|240g||tinned mackerel in tomato sauce|
|2||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|6||black olives (optional)|
|2 tbsps||balsamic vinegar|
|2 tbsps||olive oil|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Place a large pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and bring up to temperature.
2. Once hot, add the onions with a pinch of salt and a the vinegar, stir through and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened.
3. Add the diced anchovies and garlic, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the garlic does not burn.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, oregano and olives. Cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
5. Add the tinned mackerel and stir through evenly, then cook on a low heat.
6. In the meantime, take a second pan and add it over a medium fill with boiling water and cook the spaghetti for 10 minutes. season once boiling with salt, then strain once done.
7 Add the spaghetti to the sauce, mix and then serve.
Any vinegar will work if balsamic is unavailable try red wine or white wine vinegar.