Ratatouille is a delioius french dish which involves cooking disks of vegetables in a tomato sauce. Its easy to make, just requires a little extra chopping.
|1-2||aubergines, cut into discs 1cm thick|
|2||courgettes, cut into discs 1 cm thick|
|2||bell peppers, diced|
|1||brown onion, diced|
|6||vine tomatoes, cut into 1 cm discs|
|3||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 spring||rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped|
|1 tbsp||thyme, leaves picked and finely chopped|
|4 tbsps||tomato purée|
|15g||basil, finely chopped|
|2 tbsps||olive oil|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
|3 tbsps||balsamic vinegar|
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C/160°C/gas mark 4. Now, take a large sauce pan, place over a medium heat and warm the olive oil.
2. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and bell pepper, season and cook until soft.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic and tomato puree. Mix these ingredients together then add the rosemary and thyme. Cook for 7 minutes.
4. Remove the sauce from the pan and add it to an oven proof container such as an oven tray. Cover the sauce in half of the basil.
5. Assort the slices of vegetables; 1 Aubergine, 1 tomato, 1 courgette. Then, place these slices upright in the sauce and repeat in either circle or rows depending the shape of your container. Repeat until the container is full.
6. Drizzle the remaining oil on top of the vegetables along with the rest of basil and any remaining seasoning.
7. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
Parsley also makes a welcome addition.