This Cajun one-pot is made of rice flavoured with spices and features plenty of protein in the form of sausages, prawns and chicken.
long grain or basmati rice, washed
|300g||smoked or normal sausages, cut into chunks|
|300g||chicken, cut into chunks|
|1||brown onion, diced|
bell pepper, cut into chunks, core and seeds removed
|2||sticks of celery, sliced|
|4||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|400g||tinned plum tomatoes|
|3 tbsps||cajun seasoning|
|2 tsps||thyme leaves|
|tabasco, to taste|
|salt and pepper, to taste|
|3 tbsps||vegetable oil|
1. Take a large pan, add the vegetable oil and place over a medium heat. Once hot add the sausages and fry for 3-5 minutes, then remove to a side plate.
2. Next, add the onion, bell pepper and celery to the pan, fry until soft, then add the garlic and cook for a further two minutes. Stir and adjust heat as necessary to ensure the garlic does not burn.
3. Add the courgette and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
4 . Add the cajun seasoning and oregano, stir through and cook for 1 minute.
5. Now, add the tinned plum tomatoes tomatoes, thyme and tabasco. Break up any large pieces of tomato.
6. Re-add the sausages, and add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes or until the outer sides of the chicken has gone white.
7. Add the stock and rice, bring to a boil then add the lid and reduce to a low heat to cook for 20 minutes.
8. Add the prawns, ensuring they are submerged. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until pink, depending on the size/variety you are using.
9. Check that the chicken and rice have cooked through, then serve.
Top with coriander and spring onions for a little extra freshness!
You can make this dish vegan friendly by replacing the meat and seafood elements with oven roasted vegetables such as sweet potato, red onion, carrots, courgette or squash. Just add them with the rice at the end and mix together. Don’t forget to switch to a vegan friendly stock too.