A sharp and sweet dish that serves perfectly with curries and stir-fries.
for the dressing:
|200ml||white rice vinegar|
|for the salad:|
|3||cucumber, cut into slices|
|1||red onion, diced|
|3||red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced|
|100g||spring onion, finely sliced|
1. Start by making the dressing 2 hours in advance of when you would like to eat. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a pan then bring to the boil.
2. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the mixture has reduced to the consistency of a runny syrup.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the syrup into a container. Wait until it has cooled to room temperature before transferring to the fridge.
4. Once the dressing is cold, prepare the ingredients for the salad in a serving bowl.
5. Add the dressing to the salad and mix.
6. Leave to pickle in the fridge for 10 minutes then serve.
Remember to taste and adjust your dressing as it reduces. Little adjustments here can make a big difference to the finished dish.
If you can’t source rice vinegar, white wine vinegar can be used instead.