4, as a side
This classic Indian dish made with potatoes and spinach is a nutritious accompaniment to any curry. It’s easy to make and is vegan so everyone can enjoy! Packed with aromatic spices, you’ll never have a curry night without it again!
|500g||baby new potatoes, whole and washed|
|1||large brown onion, thinly sliced|
|2||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|2-inch piece||fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped|
|1||green chilli, deseeded and diced|
|1/2 tsp||black mustard seeds|
|1/2 tsp||fenugreek seeds|
|1/2 tsp||cumin seeds|
|1/2 tsp||ground cumin|
|1/2 tsp||ground coriander|
|1/2 tsp||garam masala|
|2 tbsps||olive oil|
|salt, to taste|
1. In a pan on medium heat, heat the olive oil and fry the black mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the seeds start to jump around.
2. Add the onion and cook on medium for 10 minutes until soft.
3. Next, add the garlic, chilli and ginger and cook fo another 2 minutes until soft.
4. Add the potatoes, along with the turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala and salt to taste. Stir the spices to coat the onions and potatoes.
5. Add 300ml of water to the pan, then cover and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Add the spinach, then cook uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through and the water has evaporated.
Serve with rice and other curries.