A Sunday Lunch classic, our chef offers his advice on how to roast a chicken.
To make a roast chicken, you will need a chopping board, kitchen knife, some string and a roasting pan.
We will be using additional ingredients to amplify the flavour such as a lemon, onions, carrots, rosemary, thyme, parsley and garlic. We will also be adding a drizzle of olive oil.
1. Peel two onions and chop into quarters. Then cut two carrots into thick chunks and arrange in a layer at the bottom of the roasting tray.
2. Crush four garlic cloves with the skin left on and scatter onto the vegetables.
3. Add two generous pinches of salt to the vegetables and drizzle with some olive oil.
4. Now take your chicken and place on top of the vegetables.
5. Place half a lemon inside the chicken and then the handful of rosemary and thyme, tied together with string. Follow this with the other half of the lemon.
6. Then add a small handful of chopped parsley.
7. Now cover with tin foil and cook for approximately 1 hour 30 minutes removing the tin foil halfway through.
8. Check the chicken is cooked by cutting deep into the breast to see the juices run clear.
9. Now let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes
Check out our video guide which shows a step-by-step process for how to roast a chicken: